Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Android 2.2 Froyo Droid X-PC Driver Problem: A Quick Fix

This morning I installed Froyo on my Droid X, and all went according to plan, except for problems with connecting it to my PC --- the old driver didn't work, and I couldn't find a new one. I've fixed the problem. Here's how to do it if you run into the same problem.

The Froyo update itself was a breeze. But when I connected my Droid X to my PC via the USB cable in PC Mode, my PC wouldn't recognize the Droid X. The old driver apparently didn't work. My PC asked for a new driver, but none was to be found.

Connecting in Mass USB Storage Mode was no problem, because in that mode, the Droid X appears to be little more than a USB flash drive to a PC. So you can't sync files back and forth between the Droid X and the PC using Windows Media Player. If you want to sync files that way, you'll need to use PC Mode or Windows Media Sync mode. Without the driver, though, those modes don't work and you can't connect to your PC.

Froyo USB screen

The problem was solved for me by an anonymous commenter to my blog post in which I explained the problem. When I connect my Droid X to my PC, I put it in USB debugging mode, because I need to take screenshots of the Droid X for a book I'm writing, Droid X: The Missing Manual. With the Droid X in USB debugging mode, the drivers won't install.

The solution? Turn off debugging mode and connect the Droid X. The driver will be installed. Then afterwards, debugging mode can be turned back on.

He was exactly right. If you run into this problem, to turn off USB debugging mode, press the Menu key when you're at the Home screen or a pane, then select Applications -->Development. You can see the screen, below. Tap the green check next to USB debugging to turn it off.

Froyo USB debug

After you do that, connect the Droid X, the drivers will install, and all will be right with the world. You can then turn USB debugging back on if you need to.

No comments:

Post a Comment